Sponsored by the American Mathematical Society, the American Statistical Association, the Mathematical Association of America, and the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, the theme for April’s Math Awareness Month is Mathematics and Climate. From the press release:
One of the most important challenges of our time is modeling global climate. Some of the fundamental questions researchers are currently addressing are:
- How long will the summer Arctic sea ice pack survive?
- Are hurricanes and other severe weather events getting stronger?
- How much will sea level rise as ice sheets melt?
- How do human activities affect climate change?
- How is global climate monitored?
You can write to the AMS for a free copy of the poster below or download it direct from their site. Looking for inspiration for the classroom? The site also has a list of activities and events happening around the country as well as a place for you to submit your own.